Is Gold Vermeil Jewellery Right For You?
For jewellery lovers wanting high-end design without the exorbitant price tags, gold vermeil offers the perfect solution. This metal combines the regal look of gold with the affordability and durability of sterling silver or copper. While not solid gold, vermeil’s precious metal coating ensures jewellery maintains its luxurious sheen over years of regular wear.
What is Gold Vermeil?
Gold vermeil consists of a base metal such as sterling silver or copper electroplated with a layer of 10-20 microns of karat gold. This gold coating must be a minimum of 10k but is often done in 14k or 18k for enhanced value.
The thickness of the gold layer gives vermeil much greater durability than regular gold plating. It also creates a beautiful lustrous finish indistinguishable from solid gold to the naked eye. Yet it comes at a fraction of the cost.
Pros of Choosing Gold Vermeil Jewellery
Here are the top advantages of gold vermeil that make it a top choice for shoppers:
- Affordable Luxury Style – Vermeil has the elegant look and feel of fine gold jewellery at an accessible price point. An excellent value purchase.
- Longer Wear – With proper care, the thick layer of gold can last upwards of 20 years without wearing down to the base metal underneath. Ideal for frequent jewellery wearers.
- Hypoallergenic – Many vermeil pieces use sterling silver as a base, making them suitable for those with metal allergies.
- Wide Selection – Gold vermeil is offered by most major jewellery retailers in an extensive range of earrings, necklaces, bracelets and more to suit any style.
- Ethical Sourcing – Most vermeil uses recycled precious metals and copper mined in an eco-friendly manner, for conscientious shoppers.
Is Gold Vermeil Right for Daily Wear?
Gold vermeil makes an excellent choice for those seeking fine jewellery to wear frequently or daily. The thick layer of gold stands up well to regular use without excessive damage or wear.
To keep gold vermeil jewellery looking its best:
- Avoid submerging in water or harsh chemicals which can erode the gold surface over time.
- Store pieces carefully to prevent scratches which damage the gold layer. Use soft cloth pouches or lined jewellery boxes.
- Clean regularly with a gentle polishing cloth to maintain shine. Occasionally use a mild detergent and soft brush for a deeper clean.
- Remove vermeil jewellery before swimming, exercising, showering or cleaning. Long exposure to chlorine or perspiration can prematurely wear down gold plating.
- Bring to a jeweller for occasional check-ups and re-plating as needed to refresh the gold layer after many years of wear.
Gold Vermeil vs Gold Plated vs Solid Gold
What’s the difference between vermeil, gold plating and solid gold jewellery? Here’s a quick comparison:
- Vermeil – Sterling silver or copper base plated with thick layer of 10k-18k gold at least 2.5 microns thick. Most durable gold finish.
- Gold Plated – Steel, brass or nickel base with thin layer of gold plating that wears away after 1-2 years of regular wear.
- Solid Gold – Jewellery made entirely of 10k, 14k or 18k solid gold alloyed with copper and silver for hardness. Highest karat gold content but also most expensive.
While vermeil isn’t 100% precious metal, it provides excellent value by combining the elite gold finish desired by many jewellery wearers with the affordability and sturdiness needed for lifelong treasured pieces.
4 Trending Gold Vermeil Jewellery Styles
Gold vermeil allows you to affordably own on-trend fine jewellery styles! Here are four fashionable vermeil pieces perfect for everything from daily wear to special occasions:
Chunky Hoop Earrings
From slim to mega wide, hoop earrings are back in a big way. Gold vermeil hoops infuse this classic style with modern luxury. Opt for a thick, oversized pair that makes a statement without the solid gold price.
Mismatched stackable rings are the it-accessory right now. Vermeil offers dozens of trendy yet inexpensive stacking bands in every width and design. Mix, match and layer away without tarnishing or turning fingers green.
Chokers are no longer just velvet ribbons but sculptural collars made for layering. Gold vermeil chokers lend these statement necklaces durability and eye-catching shine. Wear a few together for major modern glam.
Single Stud Earrings
The single earring trend isn’t going anywhere and gold vermeil offers countless classy studs to embrace it. Add edgy contrast wearing one glitzy vermeil stud on its own. So chic!
Caring for Your Gold Vermeil Jewellery
While gold vermeil is designed for longevity, proper care is key to keeping it damage-free. Follow these tips and your vermeil pieces will maintain their opulent new appearance for many years of use:
- Store in a fabric-lined box or soft pouch to prevent scratches. Separate pieces to avoid rubbing and tangling.
- Apply lotion, perfume, hair products etc before putting on jewellery to avoid chemical damage.
- When not wearing, keep pieces in sealed plastic bags to prevent tarnishing.
- Clean regularly with a polishing cloth designed for gold. Use mild soap and soft toothbrush occasionally if needed.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to chlorine, salt water, sweat and chemicals which erode the gold layer.
- Take off vermeil jewellery before swimming, exercising, gardening, cleaning or applying cosmetics.
- Bring to your jeweller every 2-3 years for an inspection and re-plating if wear is noticed.
Perfect Gold Vermeil Jewellery Gift Ideas
Unsure what to get that special someone for an upcoming birthday, anniversary or holiday gift? Gold vermeil jewellery makes a fabulous gift idea. Here are suggestions she is sure to adore:
Birthday Gift – Personalised Necklace
A customised gold vermeil necklace engraved with her initial or name makes a thoughtful birthday present. Bonus points for adding her birthstone!
Anniversary Gift – Engraved Cuff Bracelet
Commemorate your anniversary with a sleek vermeil cuff bracelet engraved with your names and special date. A gift to treasure forever.
Holiday Gift – Statement Earrings
Make her holiday sparkle with eye-catching gold vermeil earrings. Opt for on-trend hoops or dramatic drop styles that’ll elevate any outfit.
Bridesmaid Gift – Crystal Bracelet
Say thanks to your bridesmaids with stunning gold vermeil and crystal bracelets. Both glitzy and affordable, it’s the perfect bridesmaid proposal or day-of gift.
Gold vermeil jewellery allows you to give fine jewellery gifts with elite style without going over budget. Take advantage of the classic luxury vermeil offers at accessible prices.
Frequently Asked Questions About Gold Vermeil Jewellery
Still have questions about gold vermeil jewellery? Here are answers to some commonly asked questions:
Is gold vermeil better than gold plated?
Yes, the thicker layer of gold vermeil makes it much more durable, longer-lasting and higher in value than regular gold plating.
With proper care, gold vermeil jewellery will maintain its shine for 15-30 years before needing re-plated. Much longer than gold plated items.
Is gold vermeil hypoallergenic?
When made with a sterling silver base, gold vermeil is hypoallergenic and safe for those with metal allergies. Always check for nickel in the alloy if silver base isn’t specified.
Can you get vermeil wet?
It’s best to avoid prolonged water exposure as moisture can damage the gold layer over time. Light splashes won’t immediately hurt but repeated soaking or submersion isn’t advised.
No, vermeil should not cause skin discolouration as it contains no nickel to react with body chemistry. Tarnishing of the jewellery indicates lower quality plating likely mixed with other metals.
Is gold vermeil expensive?
Gold vermeil costs 4-10 times less than solid gold jewellery. It’s an excellent value investment that looks like the real deal for a fraction of the price of 14k or 18k solid gold.
For those desiring the luxurious look of gold without high solid gold prices, gold vermeil hits the sweet spot. Its durable plating provides long-lasting shine and value while the range of trendy vermeil jewellery styles allows you to affordably adorn yourself in the latest designs. Shared with loved ones, vermeil also makes a fabulous fine jewellery gift. Just be sure to care for your vermeil properly and you’ll enjoy its luminous glow for decades to come!